Use the Power Amplifier as a power supply for DC and AC circuit investigations or to drive devices such as speakers, lamps, and small DC motors.
The Power Amplifier takes small input signal – from a LabQuest 3, LabQuest 2, original LabQuest, or computer – and amplifies it to produce voltages from -10 to 10 V and currents up to 1 A.
- Can provide a steady, linearly-controlled DC output for driving loads like DC motors or DC circuits, and precise AC waveforms for driving things like RLC circuits and speakers.
- Utilizes internal feedback for accurate AC waveforms (sine, square, triangle, and sawtooth) and DC levels.
- Current-limited to protect against overload and shorting.
- Current monitor function allows you to log real-time load current with any Vernier interface.
- Class A-B Push-Pull Amplifier provides low distortion with good efficiency.
- Supports input signals from the LabQuest 3, LabQuest 2 or original LabQuest’s Power Amplifier app, our free PC software Power Amplifier Function Generator (Windows or Mac), or Logger Pro 3.8 or newer (LabPro only).
- Also supports an input signal from LabVIEW via the SensorDAQ interface.
Technical Details of Power Amplifier Operation
Input connection: 3.5 mm audio cable (from LabQuest or computer) or BTA cable (from LabPro CH4)
Input Frequency range: DC to 15 kHz.
Overall gain: 10X (LabQuest/computer), 2X (LabPro)
Input impedance: 10 kΩ. (LabQuest/computer), 50 kΩ (LabPro)
Maximum input ±12 V without damage.
Pulse Width Modulation input used for producing DC offset or pure DC output
Connect to Vernier interface to monitor load current
There is a 0.1 Ω resistor between the black terminal and ground. Current measurements are based on the voltage drop across this resistor.
Important Note: The Power Amplifier creates no signal on its own. It depends on a signal source, such as the LabQuest 2 or original LabQuest’s Power Amplifier App, our free Power Amplifier Frequency Generator software for PC/Mac, or Logger Pro 3.8 or newer (LabPro only)
A LabQuest Mini or LabQuest Stream does not provide a signal source. Use the Power Amplifier Function Generator software as the signal source.
Vernier Power Amplifier
(1) Power supply
(1) 3.5 mm audio cable for LabQuest control
(1) BTA cable for LabPro input and current sensing
Power Amplifier Accessory Speaker (PAAS-PAMP)